Author Topic: Gygax Retrospective  (Read 9188 times)

Skip_Williams

• Development Manager
  • Staff
  • Very young
    • View Profile
Gygax Retrospective
« on: April 07, 2008, 05:42:21 AM »
So, I've been asked (in the nicest way possible, really) to write up something celebrating the life and career of the late E. Gary Gygax, who was my friend and mentor for many years.

I was thinking of a very short adventure in Gary's style (say, 8,000 to 10,000 words), along with a few notes about what I think makes an adventure "Gygaxian" and maybe a few recollections. Sound like a good idea?

crazy_monkey1956

Re: Gygax Retrospective
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 06:13:25 AM »
Sounds like a superb idea to this Monkey.  A note for the art department: Perhaps the art for the adventure could be in early 1st edition era style.

DarkSkrypter

• Juvenile
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 06:13:44 AM »
Go for it :)

Aeolius

• Aqua boy
  • Artist
  • Young Adult
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 06:18:53 AM »
Works for me. I was thinking of redesigning a portion of Turucambi to resemble a giant EGG (ala Barrier Peaks) in his memory.

Phoenix

• Administrator
  • Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 06:37:55 AM »
Maybe sprinkle in some tidbits from pervious Gygaxian adventures (place names, NPC's, specific monsters and the like).

Corjay

• Juvenile
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 02:55:43 PM »
I think I have DAT-style art covered. I studied his style for years. I'm still working on getting back into painting, so I don't know if I'll have that ready, but the pen and ink should be what you're looking for.

Corjay

• Juvenile
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 02:56:38 PM »
The adventure should be be in the Greyhawk world.

Phoenix_ArchMage

• Research Analyst / Staff Artist
  • Staff
  • Old
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 10:19:37 PM »
Yes does anyone have the greyhawk setting?  Afterall its the original heart of DND gaming.  Since very little mechanics were involved in the first editions are we to keep it that simple?  Also Coven an artist we have working with us has a similar "old school' style that feels like the era implies.  Though I would certainly like to utilize the original artwork, does wizards have 1st edition art in the archives?

Aeolius

• Aqua boy
  • Artist
  • Young Adult
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 03:57:58 AM »
Yes does anyone have the greyhawk setting?... does wizards have 1st edition art in the archives?

You might consult GH related fan sites such as http://www.canonfire.com/ or http://www.oerthjournal.com/

The last I heard, Darlene was selling some of her older D&D artwork at her site:  http://darlenetheartist.com/

flynn

• Staff Editor
  • Staff
  • Juvenile
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2008, 06:23:00 AM »
As far as original 1e art goes, I know Jeff Dee is still active: http://www.io.com/unigames/jeffdee.html. Always liked his stuff, so maybe he could be approached for something?
Also, Erol Otus is still around too and has done stuff for Goodman Games.

Phoenix_ArchMage

• Staff
  • Old
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2008, 01:49:03 PM »
While it is certaintly an overdone idea bar brawls have its originality to the 1st edition theme, perhaps an incorporation of this idea can be utilized.

Skip_Williams

• Development Manager
  • Staff
  • Very young
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2008, 03:20:24 PM »
I don't think we'll have too much difficulty achieving a vintage look for the adventure, but I leave that to the editors and graphics people. The idea of a barroom brawl could have some merit. I was thinking of some fairly well contained setting, such as a ruin or mini dungeon. Adding a local watering hole where the PCs can stop to get information (and tangle with the bad guys) could be good. It's also very Gygaxiian.

I'm also leaning toward including annotations that explain why I've chosen the adventure elements I did and what might (or might not) make them Gygaxian.

Giomanach

• Artist
  • Young Adult
  • Skilled in the reflex/deflex ranged weapon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2008, 06:52:01 PM »
I don't think one could find a much better person for a tribute to Gary, Skip. I'm sure the adventure would meet with his approval and adding your views as to why you choose what you do and why you think Gary would've as well adds the personal insight that many who plan on similar tributes will fall short on.

Zherog

• Staff Editor
  • Staff
  • Mature Adult
    • View Profile
    • Obey the Slaw
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2008, 05:15:33 AM »
I'm also leaning toward including annotations that explain why I've chosen the adventure elements I did and what might (or might not) make them Gygaxian.

I've been seeing this general idea a bit more lately, and I have to say that I really find those sidebars and such interesting. Maybe I don't agree with the designer's choices, but with the annotations I can at least understand why those choices were made; in one instance (I forget which, unfortunately) the Designer Notes completely changed my opinion of what I thought was a railroading encounter into thinking it was a cool encounter.

So to make a short answer long, I think this is a great idea!

Phoenix_ArchMage

• Staff
  • Old
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2008, 01:51:43 PM »
I don't think we'll have too much difficulty achieving a vintage look for the adventure, but I leave that to the editors and graphics people. The idea of a barroom brawl could have some merit. I was thinking of some fairly well contained setting, such as a ruin or mini dungeon. Adding a local watering hole where the PCs can stop to get information (and tangle with the bad guys) could be good. It's also very Gygaxiian.

While I am no Necromancer.  Ask him to join you for a spot of inspiration, you will be surprised what happens in the spirit realms...