Author Topic: Gygax Retrospective  (Read 9189 times)

Skip_Williams

• Development Manager
  • Staff
  • Very young
    • View Profile
Re: Gygax Retrospective
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2008, 04:52:07 PM »
Regarding "Channeling" Gary:

I expect that thinking back on some of my more memorable adventures when Gary was behind the DM screen will be sufficient there.

Regarding the Setting:

I'm pretty sure that World of Greyhawk is *not* OGL. In any case, Gary's best adventures include a sense of discovery, so I think this thing screams "Icebound."
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 03:11:52 PM by Skip_Williams »

Ascendant

• Artist
  • Young Adult
    • View Profile
    • A Private Sermon
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2008, 11:33:17 PM »
LOL. You're a real butterfingers on the keyboard, Skip.  :P Let me clean that up for easier reading.  :D

I expect that thinking back on some of my more memorable adventures when Gary was behind the DM screen will be sufficient there.

Regarding the Setting:

I'm pretty sure that World of Greyhawk is *not* OGL. In any case, Gary's best adventures include a sense of discovery, so I think this thing screams "Icebound."
Sorry. I couldn't resist.  ;) If you're dyslexic, I'm sorry. Take it in good faith. :) I've had similar posts.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 12:07:47 AM by Ascendant »

Phoenix

• Administrator
  • Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2008, 11:45:22 PM »
LOL. You're a real butterfingers on the keyboard, Skip.  :P Let me clean that up for easier reading.  :D

Regarding the Setting:

I'm pretty sure that World of Greyhawk is *not* OGL. In any case, Gray's best adventures include a sense of discovery, so I think this thing screams "Icebound."
Sorry. I couldn't resist.  ;) If you're dyslexic, I'm sorry. Take it in good faith. :) I've had similar posts.

Now shouldn't that have been fixed to Gary's not Gray's?

Ascendant

• Artist
  • Young Adult
    • View Profile
    • A Private Sermon
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2008, 12:04:09 AM »
Now shouldn't that have been fixed to Gary's not Gray's?
You're right, he used an "a", not an "e". :)

Skip_Williams

• Development Manager
  • Staff
  • Very young
    • View Profile
Re: Typos and the Adventure Setting
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2008, 03:19:03 PM »
First, I blame Windows.

Second, keep your posts on the topic, please.

As for the adventure setting, I don't expect to spend a great deal of time dealing with weather effects and the like, so I suspect the setting will be underground somewhere or perhaps in a city.

Zherog

• Staff Editor
  • Staff
  • Mature Adult
    • View Profile
    • Obey the Slaw
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2008, 04:15:24 PM »
First, I blame Windows.

Always a safe way to go. :)

When I think "Gygaxian" adventures, a few things come to my mind:

A) Ruins. Even if the adventure starts off in a town somewhere, it always seems to end in a ruined keep.
B) Random Encounters. If there isn't a chart for determining random encounters, it's not a Gygaxian adventure.
C) Tough. Players better know when retreat is a solid tactic, because a Gygaxian adventure doesn't pull any punches.
D) Something new. There always seemed to be something new -- new artifact, new monster, etc. Whatever it was, there was something in the adventure the players had never seen before.

Vrecknidj

• Content Manager / Talent Scout
  • Staff
  • Mature Adult
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2008, 06:47:07 PM »
E) Traps.  Especially traps the players are very unlikely to have seen before.

Dave

Skip_Williams

• Development Manager
  • Staff
  • Very young
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2008, 05:27:45 PM »
First, I blame Windows.

Always a safe way to go. :)

When I think "Gygaxian" adventures, a few things come to my mind:

A) Ruins. Even if the adventure starts off in a town somewhere, it always seems to end in a ruined keep.
B) Random Encounters. If there isn't a chart for determining random encounters, it's not a Gygaxian adventure.
C) Tough. Players better know when retreat is a solid tactic, because a Gygaxian adventure doesn't pull any punches.
D) Something new. There always seemed to be something new -- new artifact, new monster, etc. Whatever it was, there was something in the adventure the players had never seen before.

An excellent list.

One thing Gary did very well was give players a sense that they weren't on firm ground, so to speak. Tough situations and new hazards were two ways he did that.

I would not say that ruins were a particular Gygax hallmark (though he was fond of them). Gary used locales that helped him build an alien atmosphere: Ice caves filled with frost giants, fairytale landscapes, underground civilizations, crashed spaceships. When he used ruins, he played up the mystery angle. Why did this place collapse? What's going on there now?

Phoenix

• Administrator
  • Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2008, 05:55:44 PM »
Wizards tower that sunk into a marsh and is filled with the Wizards creations.
City buried by a sandstorm.
Ice Castle.
Sunken Galleon.
Adventures sent out to explore a newly opened fissure in the earth.
Fairy mound.
Earthquake shifted some rock and revealed a long burried passage to a lost world.
Island suddenly appears out of nowhere and they are sent to explore it.  Finding a lost civilization with an artifact that shifted the island out of phase with the rest of the world to protect the people there but that has now failed.

Hawapance

• Very young
  • http://services.my-addr.com/online-bulk-email-verification-validator.php - bulk emails verification
    • View Profile
Gygax Retrospective
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2010, 03:20:40 PM »
He was a great man and his work directly and indirectly contributed to many forms of media. Many writers were inspired by D&D. Thanks to his work some of out notions of commonplace fantasy came into exsistance. He will be dearly missed.